August 3, 2017
Hint: your peers already are.
In a 2016 study, Gartner reports that, “for years now, many organizations have continued to re-architect their backups in an effort to modernize their approach in handling new data types and deployment models, increased workload volumes, and improve backup and restore times to meet rising SLAs.”
If you are in the midst of, or beginning to evaluate backup and recovery processes, offsite encryption systems and testing methods to fully restore enterprise data, these eight Gartner research statistics will give you an idea of where colleagues and peers are headed and recent trends that have appeared over the last two years.
- By 2020, 30% of organizations will leverage backup for more than just operational recovery (e.g., disaster recovery, test/development, DevOps, etc.), up from less than 10% at the beginning of 2016.
- By 2020, over 40% of organizations will supplant long-term backup with data archiving systems — up from 20% in 2015.
- By 2020, 10% of storage systems will be self-protecting, obviating the need for backup applications, up from less than 2% in 2016.
- By 2019, 30% of midsize organizations will leverage public cloud IaaS for backup, up from 5% in 2016.
- By 2018, 70% of business and application owners will have more self-service control over their data protection services, up from 30% in 2016.
- By 2018, 50% of organizations will augment with additional products or replace their current application with another purpose built backup solution, compared to what they deployed at the beginning of 2015.
- By 2018, more than 50% of enterprise storage customers will consider bids from storage vendors that have been in business for less than five years, up from less than 30% in 2016.
- By 2018, the number of enterprises using the cloud as a backup destination will double, up from 11% at the beginning of 2016.
If you have any questions or want to learn more about how the ability to replicate and securely restore backups can impact your time to recovery, and ultimately, your peace of mind, contact the VSS Service Team.
Source: 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software